BRUSHING: IT’S THE FOUNDATION for keeping your mouth clean and healthy. In fact, it’s so basic that most people don’t think about it very much… They just do it.
If you’re brushing twice a day that’s wonderful! It makes our job (helping keep your smile beautiful and healthy) a lot easier! But all of us can be more effective with our brushing. Ask yourself these three questions:
1. Are you using the proper brush?
Your toothbrush should be small enough to reach every small corner inside your mouth, and it should have soft bristles.
2. Are you using the right techniques?
Brush with the bristles against your teeth and gum line at a 45 degree angle. Brush in small, circular strokes, imagining plaque being swept away from the gum line.
NEVER brush too hard. Think about holding your toothbrush like a paintbrush! When it comes to brushing, elbow grease won’t get you anywhere—it just flattens the bristles against your teeth where they can’t do any good. And, it can wear down your enamel more quickly.
3. Are you thorough?
It takes two full minutes to do a thorough brushing job… 30 seconds per quadrant. And, don’t forget these frequently ignored spots:
- inner side of your front teeth
- your tongue
- inner side of back molars, next to your tongue
Watch This Helpful Video & View These Guidelines
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association has produced a quick-reference guide.
Ready To Take It To The Next Level?
If you feel like you have the basics covered, try these tips:
- Brush without toothpaste. It makes you more aware of where you do and do not brush.
- Try a plaque-disclosing tablet or rinse. Usually made for kids, these products color the plaque on your teeth so you can really see your progress.
- Most people follow the exact same pattern each time they brush. Try starting in a new place every day.
- Don’t forget to floss!